It’s your place - so why not make a great impression with an exterior finish that puts a smile on your entire street!
In order to achieve a neat, clean finish and an inviting feeling, exterior walls need to be appropriately prepared for painting. Here are some tips.
- Temporarily remove pot plants, garden hoses and any other items in close proximity to exterior walls.
- Wash walls with using a sponge and soapy solution (a small amount of detergent in a bucket of water) to get rid of any dirt or grime. Then hose down and allow time to dry. This will ensure the paint will adhere to the wall and not the dirt or grime.
- Check if any mould is present, particularly on the areas of the house which are not exposed to direct sun light, such as the south side of the house. Carefully apply the bleach solution to walls using a sponge and leave to soak for 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and again, allow walls to dry completely.
- Make sure plants and ground near the walls are covered with plastic or canvas drop cloths, so as to not cause damage.
- Assess the walls for any damage or surface lumps and bumps.
- If there is any peeling or flaking areas, scrape them to remove the loose paint then gently sand the surface down.
- Fill any dents or nail holes in the walls with a pre-mixed exterior grade filler, using filling blades.
- Use acrylic gap sealants for cracks or gaps in areas where there may be movement e.g. near doors and windows. Be sure to use paintable sealants, not silicone, on areas you wish to paint.
- Once the fillers and sealers have set, sand down these areas. While you’re there, sand down any rough or shiny spots to improve adhesion and finish.
- Spot prime the filled areas with a 3 in 1 sealer primer undercoat.
- To finish, apply painter’s masking tape to fittings which can’t be removed and around edges which may be fiddly and difficult to paint around, such as trims, windows and doors.
Hunter Valley Paint Place has a range of exterior paints to suit each job... call or drop in for the right advise for your job!
Wattyl Solagard and the entire family of Wattyl exterior paint products have been formulated to provide protection against Australia’s harsh weather conditions. Tried tested and trusted for decades, Wittily exterior paint products will keep the exterior surfaces of your home looking good for the long term.
New Look Exterior
New Look exterior low sheen and gloss offers superior UV block out, does not require a primer on most surfaces, is easy to clean and includes a 15 year warranty.
Haymes has a range of exterior products from self-priming Premium Solashield and prepcoats to enamels and acrylics